An unexpected whopper just showed up on your face. Like a mosquito bite or scab, you want to touch it. You want to pick at it. You really, really want to pop it. But should you? While most skin care professionals would prefer you left it alone, the truth is that YES, you can – but only if your blemish is white. Here’s how: On clean skin, use two Q-tips to gently press on either side of the blemish. Dab what comes out with a tissue (if you see blood or feel pain, stop!), then use an antibiotic spot treatment. We recommend Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix, Dr. Dennis Gross Correct and Perfect Spot Treatment, and Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Emergency Spot Fix. After that, hands off!
When it comes to layering your skincare products, there’s a right way and a wrong way. In fact, the order in which you apply your products is just as important as what’s inside them. You know the first step to use a cleanser, then a toner…but what comes next? Don’t fret. Learn to layer products like a pro, with our guide to skin care layering below.
Morning regimen order
1. As a general rule, apply your lightest product first. Serums, which can range in texture from liquid to gels are applied first because they deliver the highest concentrated of active ingredients most efficiently. Pick two or three serums that each treat one of your concerns. For wrinkles, we recommend formulations with added peptides, like PCA Skin ExLinea Peptide Smoothing Serum. Look for serums, like SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense, that contain salicylic acid is best for oily skin types.
2. Use targeted treatments for problem areas next, like Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix on that persistent blemish, or cover your crow’s feet with your favorite eye cream. We recommend one with an SPF like DDF Protective Eye Cream SPF 15 or Dermalogica Travel Size Total Eye Care SPF 15.
3. Then, apply full-face treatments, like an antioxidant treatment or acne treatment for the entire face.
4. Moisturize to seal in your other products. Facial oils, like John Masters Organics Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil or Rodial Stemcell Super-Food Facial Oil, can be applied after to any dry spots you find after moisturizing. If you’re using two or more serums under your moisturizer, skip any facial oils to avoid becoming too greasy. Remember, facial oils can penetrate moisturizers but not vice versa, so always apply your moisturizer before a facial oil. If you choose a moisturizer with an SPF, opt for one with UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection with a minimum SPF of 30. We recommend a lightweight, oil-free moisturizing SPF, like Elta MD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46.
5. SPF. You’ve heard it a million times, but we’ll say it a million-and-one. Never leave home without an SPF on your face. We’ll leave it at that.
Night regimen order
1. Retinols need to be applied directly to clean skin to be most effective. However, if you have sensitive skin, applying a serum or moisturizer before hand will help the retinol to penetrate with less irritation.
2. After your first layer has absorbed, apply any targeted treatments, like a rich eye cream (we recommend Neocutis Lumiere Riche Bio-Restorative Eye Balm), or if you have any other spot specific treatments, like NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening Gel for dark spots and discoloration, now is the time to apply.
3. Finish with a moisturizer. Apply a heavier night cream, like SkinCeuticals Emollience, for drier skin types. If you have oily skin, opt for a lotion, instead of a cream as they are less hydrating. Many are specifically for problem or acne-prone skin. We like Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclear Face Lotion.
Morning or evening, remember to wait for a few minutes between for each layer to allow for the product to absorb. This way each product is able to penetrate and deliver its specific benefits without interfering with the function of the next product layer.
Protect your peepers with the gentle, 100% mineral base SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50. The mousse-like formula goes on smoothly and doesn’t run for the best in UV protection without irritating eyes. Lightly tinted to enhance skintone when used alone or can be used to create an optimal makeup base.
Think Dad doesn’t like to be pampered? Think again! This year retire those BBQ sets and ties for something that will leave him looking and feeling great! Need some gift inspiration? Check out our Father’s Day Gift Guide below!
To get your gift by Father’s Day, be sure to place your order before June 6 for Standard shipping, June 10 for Priority shipping, and June 12 for Express shipping.
Light Therapy has proved to be a very effective method to cure skin conditions like wrinkles, acne, wounds and general aging. It is also non-invasive and that is welcomed by many patients. Even if you do not have a skin condition but nevertheless you desire an enhancement, you can get your wish fulfilled by using Continue reading
Meet the newest John Masters award winners! Light weight conditioner to leave in or rinse out.
John Masters Organics Citrus and Neroli Detangler
- InStyle’s Best Beauty Buys – Best Eco-Friendly Shampoo/Conditioner
- Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible Awards 2014 Conditioner Winner
Broad-spectrum sun protection
John Masters Organics Natural Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
- Ultimate Natural Beauty Bible Awards 2014 Sunscreen Winner
- Natural Health Beauty Awards Sun Care Winner
Have you tried John Masters Organics?